1 bunch celery
6 button mushrooms
1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 litres chicken stock
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups alphabet pasta
2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
2 cups corn kernels
1 cup frozen spinach
Corn flour mixed with water to a paste to thicken soup
Pepper to taste
- Peel and chop carrots and onions. Peel and dice potatoes. Chop celery. Slice zucchini and mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic. Cook until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, zucchini and mushrooms and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the corn kernels and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Add the pasta and spinach and cook until the pasta is al dente.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with parsley.
Adapted from Flynn Early Childhood Education Centre – with thanks!