- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large red capsicum
- 3 - 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder (or more if you like it hot!)
- 800g canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 - 6 eggs, depending on pan capacity
- Fresh herbs (parsley, coriander) + pepper to taste, or as desired
- Sliced sour dough or whole meal pita bread
Optional (see variations for details)
- Baby spinach
- Reduced fat feta cheese
Prep & cooking equipment
- Large saucepan with lide (oven proof if you want to bake - see variations)
- Chopping board
- Measuring spoons
- Garlic crusher
- Can opener
1. Dice onion & capsicum. Crush garlic and measure out spices.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
3. Add onion and capsicum. Cook gently until softened, 15 - 20 minutes.
4. Add garlic and spices. Stir and cook for a further minute.
5. Add the tinned tomatoes. Stir, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
6. Once sauce has thickened, use a large spoon to make small wells within the sauce. Crack the eggs into wells. Note eggs should be close, but not crowded.
7. Cover and simmer until eggs are poached, approximately 5-8 minutes. (see oven baked variation below)
8. Divide between bowls. Season with pepper and herbs if using. Serve with sliced sour dough or flat bread.
- At step 5, prior to poaching the eggs;
- Mix through a baby of baby spinach until just wilted
- Add reduced fat crumbled feta throughout, or crumble on top when serving
- Serve with sliced avocado
- Oven baked option: bake the eggs in sauce in a preheated oven at 180°C for 8-12 minutes or until cooked.