½ cup reduced fat cottage cheese
80g reduced fat cheddar, grated
100g frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Freshly ground black pepper
30g reduced fat margarine
2 cups wholemeal plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup buttermilk, plus extra for brushing
3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Mix together the cheeses, spinach, spring onions, garlic and pepper.
- Rub the spread into the sifted flour and baking powder until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in buttermilk until just combined. Turn dough onto a floured surface, knead lightly and shape into a 20cm log. Cut dough into 10 slices and pat each slice out into rough 10cm rectangles.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over 9 of the rounds and then arrange them into stacks of 3.
- Line the base and sides of a 20cm loaf pan with baking paper. Stand the loaf tin upright on the short side and place a stack of dough into the short side of the tin, continue stacking the dough on top of each other to fill the tin and then finish with the 10th plain round on top.
- Brush the top of the loaf with buttermilk, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake at 200°C for 30-35 minutes, until brown and cooked through. Serve warm.