- 1½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons canola margarine
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat oven to 160ºC and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix together the oats, flour and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Using a microwave oven or stovetop, heat margarine together with golden syrup until melted.
- In a small bowl, combine water and bicarbonate of soda. Gently pour into the golden syrup mix while stirring.
- Pour syrup mix into the dry ingredients and mix-together until well combined.
- Roll a spoonful of mixture into balls and place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Press down tops to flatten slightly.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown. Stand for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
Tip: make this into an ANZAC slice by pouring the mixture into a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
Click here to download this recipe as a PDF.