This recipe meets the GREEN criteria in the National Healthy School Canteen Guidelines.
1 sweet potato, chopped into small pieces
1 x 400g can chickpeas, no added salt, drained and rinsed
Juice of ½ lemon
2 spring onions, finely sliced
½ cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 egg (check the centre's policy regarding egg)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place sweet potato into a microwavable dish and add 1 tablespoon of water. Microwave for 6 minutes or until soft. Drain any excess liquid.
- Mash sweet potato with the chickpeas and lemon juice. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until the mixture has cooled.
- Add spring onions, breadcrumbs and egg to the sweet potato mixture and mix until well combined.
- Using clean hands, take a handful of the mixture and form it into a patty shape. Repeat the process to create 6 patties.
- Place patties evenly apart on the baking tray.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning the patties over once at half way.