2 onions, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds
4 peeled and diced potatoes
1 bunch celery chopped
5 zucchini sliced
6 button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
2lt chicken stock
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups alphabet pasta
2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
2 cups corn kernels
1 cup frozen spinach
Corn flour mixed with water to a paste to thicken soup
Pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onions, garlic, and cook until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
2. Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, zucchini and mushrooms and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer.
4. Add the corn kernels and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 20 minutes.
5. Add the pasta and spinach and cook until the pasta is al dente
6. Remove from heat and sprinkle with parsley.
Adapted from Flynn Early Childhood Education Centre – with thanks!