Budget busting shopping ideas
- Plan your meals for the week and develop a shopping list – then stick to the list!
- Do not shop when hungry!
- Buy in bulk for non-perishable products you frequently use.
- Try to stick to one shop per week – going to the supermarket everyday will inevitably lead to you grabbing some items you may not necessarily need and buying treats more frequently.
- Shop around for the best deals! Pay attention to the good sales.
- Buy fruits and veg in season.
- Compare prices for similar products – don’t be afraid of generic brands.
Healthy tips on a tight budget
- Keep your pantry tidy – you can’t use what you can’t see!
- Buy foods that are minimally processed (i.e. block cheese is usually cheaper per kilogram than grated or sliced cheese).
- Minimise food wastage with great ‘leftovers’ recipes such as fried rice, frittata, stir fry, soup or stews using left over vegetables at the end of the week.
- Drink water instead of soft drink and juice – it’s free and much healthier!
- Re-use your left overs with some quick adds! (Bolognese becomes chilli con carne with some added beans and spices, or shepherd’s pie with mashed potatoes on top).
- Use canned or frozen veg – cheaper and last longer!
Click here to download this information as a pdf