This recipe can be eaten as a dessert, or as an alternative to porridge for breakfast.
⅔ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 ¾ cups reduced fat milk
½ cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup of fresh or canned pears, sliced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Rinse and drain quinoa and place into a medium sized saucepan.
- Add milk, ½ cup of water, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and sliced pears to saucepan.
- Stir well, cooking on a medium-high heat.
- Once the mixture begins to simmer, reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer with lid on for 30 minutes.
- Remove ½ cup of the pudding mixture into a small bowl. Add an egg to the small bowl and whisk to combine with pudding.
- Add the egg and pudding mixture back to the saucepan, and whisk it into the rest of the pudding.
- Cook for another 2 – 5 minutes, until thickened, remove from heat and serve.
Tip: Rice or sago can be used instead of quinoa. Any fresh, dried, or canned fruit can be used in this recipe