This recipe meets the AMBER criteria in the National Healthy School Canteen Guidelines.
1 cup uncooked pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 sticks of celery
1 cup (250g) button mushrooms
1 tablespoon plain flour
350g lean beef strips
500ml liquid beef stock, salt reduced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste, no added salt
2 tablespoons reduced fat natural yoghurt
- Finely dice onion. Chop carrot. Slice celery and mushrooms.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook pasta as per packet instructions.
- Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan, add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add carrots and celery and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Turn down the heat to low and stir through mushrooms.
- Add flour to a shallow dish. Gently coat the beef strips in flour and set aside.
- Heat a frypan with the remaining oil. Add beef strips in batches and cook for 3 minutes or until browned.
- Add the cooked beef strips to the saucepan with the vegetables. Stir through stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Increase heat to medium and cook for a further 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir through yoghurt.
- Serve with cooked pasta.