Breakfast is often considered the most important meal of the day as it breaks your overnight fast supplying the body and brain with necessary nutrients after potentially 12 hours since your last meal. Having a healthy breakfast every morning will positively affect your mood, physical and mental performance, weight, and long-term health.
Benefits of a healthy breakfast
Breakfast helps to:
- Improve your energy levels and metabolism.
- Reduce fatigue across the day
- Improve memory and concentration
- Provide beneficial nutrients
- Stabilise blood sugar levels, which regulates appetite and energy. People who eat breakfast are less likely to be hungry and overeat during the rest of the day.
By skipping breakfast, you risk having:
- Less control over your appetite - breakfast helps to stabilise blood sugar levels, which regulates appetite and energy.
- Reduced brain power - eating breakfast helps to maintain focus and concentration levels in the morning helping you perform better at school.
- Nutritional deficiencies - breakfast provides essential nutrients such as fibre, iron, calcium, zinc and vitamin B2. These nutrients missed at breakfast are generally not compensated from other meals throughout the day.
Healthy breakfast ideas
Breakfast fruit smoothie
- 1 small banana
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 breakfast wheat biscuits or 1 tablespoon oats
- ½ cup reduced fat vanilla yoghurt
- Add all ingredients into a blender, blend until smooth.
French toast - a great way to avoid wasting bread
- 4 slices of bread (fruit loaf, wholemeal, wholegrain)
- ½ cup reduced fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Beat egg together with milk, dip bread into the mixture.
- Add the margarine into a hot pan. Cook bread for 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot with toppings – reduced fat cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, banana and other fruits, reduced fat yoghurt, reduced fat cream cheese, ricotta.
Make breakfast routine
If time is an issue in the morning, set your alarm for 10 minutes earlier so you can fit in breakfast.
If you use public transport, take a healthy on the go snack, such as a piece of fruit, a liquid breakfast drink or some dried fruit and nuts, with you to eat whilst you travel.